Thursday, January 14, 2010

Miracles do exist



Let me start off by saying, my mother was an amazing seamstress. That's what she did for a living. She made costumes for a local costume shop, made wedding dresses, cheerleading outfits for local high schools, she was good. There was nothing my mom couldn't sew. I would spend hours in her sewing room with her, just watching her. She would let me cut patterns out, and iron seams. I even made a few things here and there. Anything anyone needed made she could figure it out, Pattern or no pattern. I always loved making up our own patterns. I loved going to fabric stores and looking at pattern books with her and letting our creative juices flow. With that being said, that skill has not come to me naturally. It actually has not come to me at all. My mother bought me a serger when I had my first child in hopes that I would take up sewing. It didn't happen. It could have been the fact that he was a boy. Had it been a girl, maybe I would have. But my mom enjoyed sewing for her grandchildren and always made amazing things for them, so why did I need to sew? Once she passed away, my 2 baby sisters took up the hobby, and love it,and are good. So guess who helps me now? Well, being 2000 miles away from home kind of hampers the ability to enjoy their talents. So I've decided to give it another go. My SIL came to visit for Christmas. She just made her first dress for her little girl, so she encouraged me. I bought the easiest pattern I could find, and with my sister easily available through text and phone, figured it out. I'm sure I didn't do everything right,like the bias ( I don't think I did it right, but I know a few local women who can teach me the right way,hint), but It looks like a dress, and that's all that counts, right? If you see my daughter around with this dress on, you are not allowed to examine it closely. My mother would not be happy with the patterns not matching on the seams, but oh well, she would just be proud of me for trying. Yeah, I did it!
Here are some examples of my mom's work.
My Wedding dress. I made the veil

Some lame beauty walk I was in

Jake's lion costume, although it's Dallin in this picture. I decorated the head piece.

drill team uniform

5 comments:

jlk said...

The dress turned out so great! I bet she loves it.

Sara said...

I'm very proud of you!!! And for the record, I would rather fully line a dress than use bias tape. Hate the fussy little stuff.

shelly said...

Way to go Brandie. My mom was also a great seamstress- also not a talent I inherited. I think it's great that you are giving it a try again, maybe you will inspire me... :)

Nichole and Jeremy said...

Your Mom is amazing. I love the beauty walk dress. And the Lion costume.

Unknown said...

I too come from a mom just like yours and I feel somehow that she is disappointed in me. Courtney has an interest in sewing, so maybe it skips a generation? :) I do love that dress on Lydia though! Cute pattern and a cute girl to match!